Who we are and what we do
The Accident Compensation Conciliation Service (ACCS) is a statutory body established under the Accident Compensation Act 1985. ACCS provides an independent service that uses the principles of Alternative Dispute Resolution to assist parties in resolving workers compensation disputes in Victoria. The ACCS facilitates the resolution of disputes by involving all parties - workers, employers and VWA Agents or Self-Insurers - in a process that is fair, economical, informal and quick.
What can you expect?
- Answers to your queries about our role and processes.
- Appropriate forms, brochures and information guides.
- A free service - No fees are charged by ACCS.
We aim to help, but there are certain things we cannot do for you. We cannot:
- Manage the worker's compensation claim.
- Advocate on behalf of any participant.
- Give legal advice.
- Judge or decide the merits of a case.
- Conciliate matters outside the Accident Compensation Act.
- Greet you in a polite and professional way.
- Deal with requests for conciliation promptly and impartially.
- Provide you with clear and accurate information and assistance.
- Conduct a fair conciliation process in a safe environment.
We respect your right to
- Fair and helpful assistance, including appropriate arrangements for people with disabilities or special needs.
- An interpreter if necessary.
- Seek independent advice.
- Respectful and equitable treatment.
To deliver a high quality service, we expect you to:
- Take all reasonable steps to resolve your dispute.
- Actively participate in the conciliation process.
- Provide us with complete and accurate information.
- Comply with any ACCS requests.
- Be courteous and respectful to all staff and parties at all times.